Korond / Corund – is the most famous locality in Salt Land of Szeklerland as regional center for handicrafts, tourism and culture.
Corund (Korond) is approx. 25 km northwest from the city Székelyudvarhely / Odorheiu Secuiesc, in the Corund stream valley at the confluence of streams Kebeled, Northern and Sugo, being crossed by DN 13A. It is part of the geographical area of Salt Land, the only country from Transylvania who took the name of the mineral resource of the site.
Attractions in Korond / Corund
- It is a famous pottery village, with iron-sulfur therapeutic bath, having four springs of mineral water.
The Szeklers form Korond were and are known as excellent craftsmen of tinderprocessing. Of tinder they have made caps, hats and decorative items. Worth seeing movie recordings of the TV Gheorgheni on this subject.
- The year of construction of the old Roman Catholic church is not known, it was built in the Romanesque architectural style era, and transformed in 1533 in Gothic style. The patron of the church was St. Bartholomew. In 1568 it was acquired by the Unitarians, and Catholics returned only in 1716. It was renovated in 1720. Meanwhile, since 1648, remaining Catholics used a chapel. In the 1700s they formed a joint parish with the Catholics from Atyha / Atia, and Korond has its own priest in 1743. The village had a Catholic elementary school closed by the Romanian authorities in 1924.In 1910 began construction of a new Roman Catholic church, which was consecrated a year later in honor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and in 2011 there were major changes both externally and internally. Some stones of the old Gothic church are built in the fence of this new church.
- The Unitarian church was rebuilt between 1720 and 1750, and was renewed in 1821, 1971 and 2011.
- Across the street, opposite the church is located the Village Museum.
- At a quarter of hour walk from the village, along the road to Parajd / Praid, at an altitude of 535 m, were long time ago Korond Spa, first mentioned in 1729. In 1890 Gáspár Gyula became the owner who has grown considerably the spa between 1892 and 1900. In 1938, the facility went bankrupt, the pines were felled, buildings were demolished. Today the place is called Árcsó, and is famous for its salt fountain, springs and deposits of mineral water.
- At the place called the Monks’ Garden was once a convent, where the Minor Friars came from their chapel on Mount Firtos in 1783. On the former monastery’s place is a mill today.
- In the border of the village between 1911–1963 he was exploited aragonite.
- Along the road is a permanent exhibition of products from the village.
- At Korond / Corund can be seen a lot of Szekler beautifully carved wooden gates. In Korond once beautiful folk dances are danced, known still today by the elders of the village. Fortunately dances of Land Korond and Salt Land are learned, danced also in remote regions such as children's dance group in Csomafalva / Ciumani. Besides dances of Korond are very famous those of Felsősófalva / Ocna de Sus, included also in Bartók Ensemble’ repertoire of Budapest.
- Before the High School of Korond is placed the monumental spatial composition of Miholcsa József, "Our Fortress is Mother Tongue", on which the bronze portraits of 30 great writers form a "parliament" of Hungarian literature.
- Korond / Corund, as the other settlements in the Salt Land, are major tourist attraction points.